Summer is in full swing so celebrate the season by bringing this easy and delicious corn and bean marinated salad to barbecues, picnics, potlucks, and 4th of July celebrations.
Chipotle Corn and Bean Salad
This flavorful marinated corn and bean salad is gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan. The recipe makes a big batch and is perfect for barbecues, potlucks, and other occasions when you are feeding a crowd.
You can make this salad several hours ahead of time as the flavors meld nicely while marinating, leaving you free to enjoy visiting with your guests.
1 15-oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 cup red onion, finely diced
1 green or red bell pepper, diced into 1/2” pieces
5 ribs celery, halved lengthwise, halves sliced into 3/8” slices
1 bunch cilantro, rinsed and drained, stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed and drained, halved
For the marinade:
1/4 cup lime juice (2-3 limes juiced)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground chipotle chili
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Large mixing bowl
Large and shallow glass, ceramic, or other non-metallic serving dish (an 11”x17” glass cake pan works well)
1-cup liquid measuring cup
1. Rinse and thoroughly drain the pinto beans, black beans, and garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in the colander. Transfer the beans to the large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
2. Add the frozen corn kernels to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
3. Finely dice the red onion and add it to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Rinse and core the bell pepper. Dice the bell pepper into 1/2-inch pieces. Add the bell pepper to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
5. Trim the ends from the celery ribs. Rinse the celery ribs and slice them lengthwise into halves. Slice the halves into 3/8-inch thick slices. Add the celery to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
6. Rinse and drain the cilantro in the colander. Remove the stems from the cilantro leaves. Coarsely chop the cilantro leaves and add them to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
7. Rinse and drain the cherry or grape tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes into halves. Add the tomatoes to the mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
8. Make the marinade. Juice enough limes into the liquid measuring cup to yield 1/4 cup of lime juice.
9. Add the salt, granulated garlic, cumin, and ground chipotle chili to the liquid measuring cup. Stir with a fork to combine.
10. Add 1/4 cup of vegetable oil to the liquid measuring cup. Gently whisk the lime juice, seasonings, and oil with a fork to thoroughly combine.
11. Pour the marinade over the corn, bean, and vegetable mixture. Use a large-bowl spoon to gently stir to coat the mixture with the marinade.
12. Transfer the salad to the shallow serving dish and level the mixture with the bottom side of the spoon. Cover the serving dish with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until serving. This salad stays fresh and crisp for up to 6 hours when properly refrigerated.
For more Easy Delicious Gluten-Free recipes
If you'd like to try more easy gluten-free recipes consider purchasing our inexpensive electronic cookbooks that are available at Amazon and the iBooks store. Simply download the cookbook to your computer or mobile device and bring it into the kitchen with you to cook. Once you get used to using an electronic cookbook you'll wonder why you never thought of it before.
Purchase at iBooks store
Our cookbooks are now specially formatted for iPads, MacBooks, and other iOS devices with larger screens. This special dual-page format is not recommended for viewing on iPhones (if you have an iPhone purchase through Amazon and use the Kindle Reader App to read on your iPhone).
Formatted for iPads and MacBooks
Available at Apple iBooks store